Last year in Nov, I made an AMD APU rig with the following config:
Mobo+CPU Gigabyte E350N Motherboard 4100 Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 310 Cabinet (Red) 1400 SMPS Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU 2703 HDD 500 GB WD Cavier Blue 3300 RAM Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 2 GB (KVR1333D3N9/2G) x 2 1156 ODD Samsung DVD Writer 900
Now I am upgrading to Haswell processor. So, I bought an Intel Core i5 4570 processor from Amazon about a week ago, but so far unable to decide on what motherboard to use it with.
Apart from the Mobo Combo, I am planning to use every other component, from above configuration. I may even built another configuration specially for the mobo combo which would be left spare with me after haswell upgrade (as planned).
I am shortlisted these mobo's according to preference:
ASRock H87 Pro4 Motherboard
Gigabyte H87M-D3H Motherboard
MSI H87M-G43 Motherboard
Intel DH87RL 4th Generation Motherboard
Now I selected only H87 chipset based mobo's since according to my research, its the best balance between performance and VFM. Core i5 4570 is not an unlocked processor, so I don't need a mobo which would help me to overclock, neither I plan to. I am not a pro gamer, so won't need to do crossfire.
I did go out to get the mobo this saturday, but to my dismay I found no vendor kept the H87 mobo's except that of Intel, which was the last on my list. So I refrained to buy, and thought to ask fellow digitians before I try to buy it from Nehru place next saturday.
I have the following doubts:
1. Does B85 and H87 really makes much of a difference? And what will I loose if I don't get H87 and get B85 instead.
2. How much difference does an ATX mobo really makes from a micro ATX one, for a basic gamer.
3. What other mobo's can I put in the list and what should be the order, since it seems availability of the mobos are scarce. (even out of stock on FK).
4. Should I care about getting a thermal paste, before I install the processor to mobo?
5. Should I care about getting new SMPS. I think no, since I am not adding a dGPU anytime soon.