New HDD confusion New HDD confusion
Menu
 

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New HDD confusion

  1. #1
    Constructed New Rig..!! Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    General New HDD confusion

    Hello pals,

    I need total of 2TB of internal storage. To minimize risk of data loss in case of HDD failure i m considering 4 drives of 500GB.

    Already I m using WD blue 500 GB (september 2008purchase) and 1TB Green drive(april 2009 purchase). I m satisfied with Blue drive but Green drive is showing some jhols. It is detected in BIOS and can be seen when PC is started but in couple of mins it would disappear.
    Hence for now I need total 2TB of new HDD space.

    I need most reliable drives to avert data loss.

    Open to suggestions of different types. Few things might help while suggesting 1) Around 1200GB of data is used ocassionaly only and 2) For system drive I m having a 60GB SSD 3) In my mind image of WD is better than Seagate because I dint have to RMA WD drive in last 6-7 years, which might be just an illusion 4) In current product line of WD i m inclined towards WD Black drives but totally clueless of their reliability or failure rate.

    PS: in my mind I was thinking to get 4 x WD black 500GB drives but not able to find any.

    Any self experience with this type of situation will also be helpful.
    Coming soon: HP Envy 15t-AE100 paired with Crucial MX100 256GB|WD Elements 2TB|Logitech G400
    Retiring soon: 955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Corsair Vengeance 8GB|STRIX GTX960 2GB OC|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Seasonic S12II 620W|WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    LG 42LB5820|Yamaha YHT 196|PS3 12 + 500GB with Maxx Shooter Pro|MK808B+|Raspberry Pi 2
    iPhone 5S 16GB|Lenovo Tab2 A7-10

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NCR
    Posts
    5,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    first of all in my opinion biggest factor when considering hdd reliability is luck.WD green series is not considered good by many but there are some people here who are running these drives fine for years without any issues.WD black is regarded as most reliable & performing but it is also costliest so WD Blue is a better & balanced option in terms of price & reliability.also again my personal opinion but i think it is better to buy hdd directly from seagate/WD official distributor(search their site) instead of buying from 3rd parties & especially online buying.reason is that hdd is a delicate machine so handling is very critical.official distributors get hdd's in specially packaged containers from company.from there it is then send to 3rd parties which may or may not handle them properly.in any case simple logic is more hands the hdd pass through(from factory to you) more will be the chance of mishandling.if you buy directly from official distributor then it minimizes such risks.also install crystaldisk info to continuously monitor your hdd & keep an eye on critical hdd values(like pending sector,reallocated sector & uncorrectable sector) because any change in these values indicates something is wrong with hdd.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  3. #3
    Constructed New Rig..!! Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    I m open to spend bit more and get better reliability if WD Black drives actually provide same. For total of 2TB my budget could stretch as high as 13-14K
    Coming soon: HP Envy 15t-AE100 paired with Crucial MX100 256GB|WD Elements 2TB|Logitech G400
    Retiring soon: 955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Corsair Vengeance 8GB|STRIX GTX960 2GB OC|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Seasonic S12II 620W|WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    LG 42LB5820|Yamaha YHT 196|PS3 12 + 500GB with Maxx Shooter Pro|MK808B+|Raspberry Pi 2
    iPhone 5S 16GB|Lenovo Tab2 A7-10

  4. #4
    Living to Play Reputation gameranand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Cyclone
    Posts
    13,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Get a WD Black. They are very reliable and good performance also.
    In war, Victory. In peace, Vigilance. In death, Sacrifice.

    SteamID, Origin ID, Raptr, FB, Desura, XFire, Rockstar Social Club, Flickr, Youtube, Twitter - Gameranand
    UbiPlay - Gamranand

  5. #5
    Right Off the Assembly Line Reputation
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Yes WD black is very reliable HDD because it offers more durability then WD green.

    I also have WD black HDD & I am satisfied with its performance.

  6. #6
    Constructed New Rig..!! Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Reliability is top requirement. I was thinking to RAID 2*WD AV-GP series 2TB drives for safety and no data-loss
    Coming soon: HP Envy 15t-AE100 paired with Crucial MX100 256GB|WD Elements 2TB|Logitech G400
    Retiring soon: 955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Corsair Vengeance 8GB|STRIX GTX960 2GB OC|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Seasonic S12II 620W|WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    LG 42LB5820|Yamaha YHT 196|PS3 12 + 500GB with Maxx Shooter Pro|MK808B+|Raspberry Pi 2
    iPhone 5S 16GB|Lenovo Tab2 A7-10

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NCR
    Posts
    5,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    do not use WD Green in raid configuration.they have a high failure rate when put in RAID configuration.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  8. #8
    Apprentice Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Reliability is top requirement. I was thinking to RAID 2*WD AV-GP series 2TB drives for safety and no data-loss
    If by any change you are using Windows 8, use Storage Spaces feature.

    I am using it with WD 2TB EARX models.

    see the below link for some performance benchmarks
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ml#post1842600
    i5 760 | Intel DH55TC | CM Hyper 212 EVo | Strontium 4 GB X 3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB | WD Caviar Green 2 TB (WD20EARX) X 4 | Acer S231HL | Corsair HX650 | CM Storm Stryker | Windows 8 Pro | Logitech K120 | Logitech G400 | Razer Goliathus - Omgea Control Edition | CanoScan LiDE 110

  9. #9
    Constructed New Rig..!! Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by leelaprasad View Post
    If by any change you are using Windows 8, use Storage Spaces feature.

    I am using it with WD 2TB EARX models.

    see the below link for some performance benchmarks
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ml#post1842600
    Not using Windows 8. But can similar be done in Win 7 or may be via any third party app?

    Well after negative reviews and comments about AV-GP I searched more and landed on WD Red drives. 2TB model is available for 7210 @ theitdepot. However I m unsure about how good price is this for a Red drive.
    Coming soon: HP Envy 15t-AE100 paired with Crucial MX100 256GB|WD Elements 2TB|Logitech G400
    Retiring soon: 955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Corsair Vengeance 8GB|STRIX GTX960 2GB OC|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Seasonic S12II 620W|WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    LG 42LB5820|Yamaha YHT 196|PS3 12 + 500GB with Maxx Shooter Pro|MK808B+|Raspberry Pi 2
    iPhone 5S 16GB|Lenovo Tab2 A7-10

  10. #10
    Back to school!! Reputation tkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    10,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    General Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Hello pals,

    I need total of 2TB of internal storage. To minimize risk of data loss in case of HDD failure i m considering 4 drives of 500GB.

    Already I m using WD blue 500 GB (september 2008purchase) and 1TB Green drive(april 2009 purchase). I m satisfied with Blue drive but Green drive is showing some jhols. It is detected in BIOS and can be seen when PC is started but in couple of mins it would disappear.
    Hence for now I need total 2TB of new HDD space.

    I need most reliable drives to avert data loss.

    Open to suggestions of different types. Few things might help while suggesting 1) Around 1200GB of data is used ocassionaly only and 2) For system drive I m having a 60GB SSD 3) In my mind image of WD is better than Seagate because I dint have to RMA WD drive in last 6-7 years, which might be just an illusion 4) In current product line of WD i m inclined towards WD Black drives but totally clueless of their reliability or failure rate.

    PS: in my mind I was thinking to get 4 x WD black 500GB drives but not able to find any.

    Any self experience with this type of situation will also be helpful.
    If you want to go for raid, you can get 2x1TB drives, 4xRAID are useful in data centers, the chances of 2 drives to go bad simultaneously are astronomically low, specially if you keep an eye on their SMART status regularly.

    For best results I recommend WD Reds, these are designed for RAID use.
    Project Odeon V2 - Dell Inspiron 15R N5520 - i3 3110M @ 2.4GHz, 6GB DDR3, HD 7670M
    Symphony - AT M50X, Soundmagic E80, Xiaomi Piston 3, Brainwavz Delta, FiiO E10K
    Accessories - LG G2, Panasonic FZ150, Netgear JNR1010, F&D E200, Kobo Glo

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •