Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control
Menu

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5 Reputation club_pranay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

I have a Sony Vaio VGN series Laptop. Originally shipped with Windows 7 x64 Home Edition(OEM). It had Fn keys combination to control volume and brightness. A nice overlay would show up on the screen to show current levels
    Fn + F3: Volume Down
    Fn + F4: Volume Up
    Fn + F5: Brightness Down
    Fn + F6: Brightness Up

Few months back, after a HDD failure I had to install Windows 7 professional(Retail). Now, even after installing all the Sony Vaio drivers, the brightness control is totally disabled. Volume control works but without any onscreen overlay.

Latest Update: Recently I Purchased windows 8. Now the volume control has a different overlay(on the top left part) but brightness control is still not working.
    Any Ideas on how to fix this?
    Do a favor for a complete stranger today...

Sony " VA" "IO" Reputation kARTechnology's Avatar
    I'm beside of my neibour's house, in my house, which is on Eath in Solar System in Milky Way Galaxy
    Post Thanks / Like

General Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

Quote Originally Posted by club_pranay View Post
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN series Laptop. Originally shipped with Windows 7 x64 Home Edition(OEM). It had Fn keys combination to control volume and brightness. A nice overlay would show up on the screen to show current levels
    Fn + F3: Volume Down
    Fn + F4: Volume Up
    Fn + F5: Brightness Down
    Fn + F6: Brightness Up

Few months back, after a HDD failure I had to install Windows 7 professional(Retail). Now, even after installing all the Sony Vaio drivers, the brightness control is totally disabled. Volume control works but without any onscreen overlay.

Latest Update: Recently I Purchased windows 8. Now the volume control has a different overlay(on the top left part) but brightness control is still not working.
    Any Ideas on how to fix this?
    Are you able to change brightness from control panel?

I had a vgn series laptop with vista and installed 7, it was very difficult for me to get fn keys working but I got it working and maybe I can help you
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P.CORSAIR 4GB Vengance.AMD FX 6300.CORSAIR CX430V2.CORSAIR Carbide SPEC 02.AOC 3D D3267PH .NO UPS, PURE SINEWAVE iACE.INTEX 2000Watt 2.1 SPEAKERS.EPSON L110.CANON LIDE.(SEAGATE+TOSHIBA)x1TB.PIONEER VSX-916.MISSION SATELLITES.DAINTY 12" CUSTOM SUBWOOFER.AIRTEL HD.SONY BRAVIA BX300.VAIO VGN-CS17G.XPERIA X10 + M + LENOVO A7000[ROOTED].PLAYSTATION 2.SANDISK 16GB ULTRA SD x2.BEETEL LANDLINE.GIGASET A490.OGENERAL~2,8x2,16,32GB USB Drives

Post Thanks / Like

Install keyboard hotkey driver. It should b included in the driver bundle. Or download it from product's official page.

Been There, Done That!! Reputation ShankJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post
    Install keyboard hotkey driver. It should b included in the driver bundle. Or download it from product's official page.
    .. You can even try from the battery settings option..
    If i could actually 'Speak My Mind!!', i would be in deep ****..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kARTechnology View Post
    Are you able to change brightness from control panel?

I had a vgn series laptop with vista and installed 7, it was very difficult for me to get fn keys working but I got it working and maybe I can help you
    Yes. I can control the brightness through settings. Let me know what you did. I appreciate your help.

I particularly installed the VAIO® Event Service and its subsequent updates from the driver's page. nothing helped

I am going to try this tutorial (http://blog.komeil.com/2009/07/fn-f5...sony-vaio.html) i'll update if it helped.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by club_pranay; 09-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Then you may try to reinstall them and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Then you may try to reinstall them and see what happens.
    I did it.
    Problem Solved!!
    Here's what i did.
    Key is to install these in the EXACT order.
    1. Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver (SODOTH)
    2. Sony Shared Library (SOASSL)
    3. Setting Utility Series (SOASUS)/VAIO Event Service (SOAVES)

Here's what Sony eSupport website says on the Sony® Notebook Utilities download page:
    Sony® Shared Library: Unless stated otherwise, this file must be installed BEFORE the Sony® Notebook Utilities in order for it to work properly. This update is required if you have performed a clean install of the Windows 7 operating system (i.e., installed from a commercial, off-the-shelf, version rather than using the Recovery Wizard or Recovery Media).
    Thanks guys