Moving on from Pen 4.. Finally!!Here's the questionnaire
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Ans: List of work I do in the order of priority (high to low)
a. Programming in Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008
b. Watching high quality (720p, 1080p) videos
c. Editing videos (using Adobe Premiere CS4 or Sony Vegas Pro)
d. Occasional games, mostly racing like NFS and types (not a gamer)
2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs 20,000.
I am on an incremental budget. Which for all purpose and intents means I can’t spend in one go. I can wait to buy some components in subsequent months. But to assemble a primary PC, I can shell < Rs 20k this month.
3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Been using Pen 4 for 7 years. So, I am accustomed to native clocks. Plus don’t think overclocking is a good idea, since it involves doing something a processor is not meant to do.
4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 with two or more linux distros (like Ubuntu and Arch)
5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB is sufficient, since I don’t trust internal HDD’s anymore. (Have bad experiences).
6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: No. I have Dell 19” monitor. Native resolution is 1440x900.
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, UPS (bought recently), Keyboard and mouse (will buy a good one later) and Speakers.
8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP. Possibly before Diwali. Can’t wait no more for Trinity to arrive in India. :/
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Never built a desktop before. But have experience in unscrewing and putting back all components together from mobo.
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi. Can buy from Nehru Place, or online if the difference is not much.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I was waiting for Trinity to arrive in India since 3 months now. But as others say it could take another two months. And even if it do arrive it would be costly. Wait is killing me. And since my Pen 4 got kaput yet again two days ago, I think I have enough of it. And am finally up to purchase old but proven components like Llano.
I have worked on Pen 4 for seven years now against all kinds of mockery and abuses. So I think this jump will be quite substantial for me. And so even if I don’t get Trinity I think it still won’t matter to me much in terms of any noticeable difference.
After a lot of research and discussions I have made following list:
Component Model Price CPU AMD A8-3870K 6678 Mobo Gigabyte A55M-DS2 3604 SMPS Cooler Master CX430v2 2450 HDD WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX) 3386 RAM G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2 GB 880 Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 310 Cabinet (Red) 2016 Optical Drive Samsung 22x SATA DVD Writer 950 Total 19964