Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility
Menu

Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility

waiting in Tomorrowland.. Reputation Vyom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility

So I have the following system specs:

Component Model
    Processor Intel 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 4570 i5 4th Gen
    Motherboard MSI H87M-G43
    HDD 1 TB WD Blue
    RAM G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)
    Cabinet Cooler Master E350N
    PSU Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU
    Optical Drive Samsung DVD Combo
    Keyboard TVS-E Gold Bharat

I have only 8 Gigs of RAM that served me well since a year now. But now I need to virtualize things. I want to run Windows server 2008 in a virtual environment and do experiments on SQL sever 2012 and Visual Studio 2010. Needless to say 8 Gigs won't suffice now. So I plan to upgrade RAM to 16 RAM. Since I am noob when it comes to hardware I thought maybe I shall ask my fellow forum friends:

I have 2 of these sticks installed: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC DRAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)

1. Should I install 2 more sticks of 4 GB RAM each or one module of 8 GB. Since price for one 8 gig RAM would be less I assume answer to this would be one 8 gig stick.

2. I thought I will get this: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC DRAM (F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL)
    But the above seems to be of low frequency then the RAM I already have. Which means overall frequency would be less?

3. Then I came across this: G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 X 8 GB) PC DRAM (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL)
    But the above seems to be of high latency (CL10) and I have CL9 sticks.

4. Please suggest whether I would need to compromise on frequency or latency if I want a 8 gig RAM around 3k? Or am I just better buy 2 sticks of 4 gigs each?
    Spec sheet: HP Pavillion 22XW Monitor (1080p) | Cooler Master E350N | WD 1 TB WD Blue | Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU | Intel 3.2 GHz 4570 i5 (LGA 1150) | G.Skill DDR3 12 GB RAM | MSI H87M-G43 Mobo | MSI RX 480 4 GB GPU | Moto X 1st Gen | Nexus 7.

Destroy Erase Improve Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Desmond David's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General Re: Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility

Since you are not gaming, you can use the solo 8 GB stick and put it in one of your spare DIMM slots. Dual channel is usually not needed unless you are looking for gaming or something as such.
    Human, moral and religious values are luxuries of times of peace.

SoulEngine : Core i5 4690K||Asus Z97-A||Gskill RipjawsX 2x4 GB DDR3-1600||Corsair 300R Windowed||Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme||Seagate Barracuda 320GB + 500GB + 2TB||Seasonic SS-650KM3

Wise Old Owl Reputation icebags's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General Re: Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility

well, for perfect operation , rams should be matched, or you may face application crashes when they require to access memory from both the modules.

you should search more for same configuration. however, if you put different latency rams, they are supposed to work with the slowest, if they both can operate at that latency though.
    geeky world of fandom.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the thing man. The model numbers of the RAM are very confusing.
    I will try to find the best RAM for me.
    Spec sheet: HP Pavillion 22XW Monitor (1080p) | Cooler Master E350N | WD 1 TB WD Blue | Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU | Intel 3.2 GHz 4570 i5 (LGA 1150) | G.Skill DDR3 12 GB RAM | MSI H87M-G43 Mobo | MSI RX 480 4 GB GPU | Moto X 1st Gen | Nexus 7.

Destroy Erase Improve Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Desmond David's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Read your motherboard manual and see which RAMs it supports.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Human, moral and religious values are luxuries of times of peace.

SoulEngine : Core i5 4690K||Asus Z97-A||Gskill RipjawsX 2x4 GB DDR3-1600||Corsair 300R Windowed||Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme||Seagate Barracuda 320GB + 500GB + 2TB||Seasonic SS-650KM3

Post Thanks / Like

Well, bought a stick of 8 GB RAM from Nehru Place. Working fine. Thanks all for inputs.

Want to upgrade PC RAM but queries on Frequency, Latency and Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by icebags View Post
    now set your virtual memory off, set up a ramdisk partition of 4gb & move all temp location there & share how it goes.
    For some reason, RAM slots whenever I use slots 1 and 4 my PC don't boot. So I am only able to use 2 sticks of RAM currently, (1x4 and 1x8 gigs). So only 12 GB of memory currently.
    Setting virtual memory off is a good idea?

Moving Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation dashing.sujay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does boot failure happen when you use a single module on slots #1 or #4 ?
    My Blog || Rules !! || Get .5GB free DropBox storage || Adware/Malware Removal Guide

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession
    Asus U32U ATH M20 Asus RT-N13U B1 Razer DA Redmi 1S

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Quote Originally Posted by axes2t2
    Before working on a master piece you have to first master the pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dashing.sujay View Post
    Does boot failure happen when you use a single module on slots #1 or #4 ?
    I have 4 slots: S1, S2, S3 and S4. And 3 sticks: R1 (8 GB), R2 (4 GB) and R3 (4 GB).

Currently my arrangement is this: S2-R1, S3-R2

Following arrangement results in no booting:
    S1-R3, S2-R1, S3-R2
    S2-R1, S3-R2, S4-R3

Wise Old Owl Reputation icebags's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vyom View Post
    Well, bought a stick of 8 GB RAM from Nehru Place. Working fine. Thanks all for inputs.

For some reason, RAM slots whenever I use slots 1 and 4 my PC don't boot. So I am only able to use 2 sticks of RAM currently, (1x4 and 1x8 gigs). So only 12 GB of memory currently.
    Setting virtual memory off is a good idea?
    that is the problem with extra ram upgrades, unless you get modules of same batch, they mostly come out with some weird sort of unpredictable problems.

how you can only do permutation & combinations with those modules. if you still fail to utilize all 3 modules at the same time, i would say sell that extra 4gb ram on olx, it probably wont be of any use otherwise.

setting virtual memory off is always a good idea, if you have 8gb + ram.

set vm off, get a min 2gb ramdisk, move all temp folders to ramdrive, + set all HDD property as [power off this device when not used/ power down HDD after 20 mins]
    = full full system performance + full full HDD life !
    geeky world of fandom.

10. Likes nac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will look into creating a RAM disk. It looks promising since further reading have convinced me that's it performs better than SSD.
    Wonder why not more people use more RAM as an alternative to getting expensive SSDs.

12. Likes nac liked this post