Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 600 Watt budget PSUs Battle

In The Zone Reputation rakesh_sharma23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General 600 Watt budget PSUs Battle

600 Watt budget PSUs Battle
    Corsair VS650 - vs - Cooler Master MasterWatt 600 - vs - Antec VP650

I have reviewed few PSUs in past two years or so mostly all were higher end expensive computer PSUs and I am constantly asked by many to suggest a budget gaming PSU or review one. I have few budget PSUs with me and was for long willing to test them but didn’t have a good idea or inspiration for an article.

But recently I got news about Cooler Master’s new PSU lineup the “MasterWatt” and “MasterWatt Lite” series of PSU, offering new design and features with improved performance and reliability. I was more interested in MasterWatt Lite series as they would be having lower price spectrum. I contacted guys at Cooler Master India to confirm and was surprised to know that MasterWatt Lite 600 is indeed a under Rs.5K price tag product.

600 + watts and with a under Rs.5K of price tag, is the PSU every budget gamer or pc builder looking for. This gave me an idea to do a comparison between PSUs with 600 + watts of power and are under Rs.5K. I already have Corsair VS650 and Antek VP650 with me, and when shared the idea with Cooler Master India, I also got a sample of Cooler Master’s MasterWatt Lite 600 PSU.

So now about this article. This comparison is not about the marketing features of these three PSUs (For that you can find respected product links at the end of this article), but rather about the features, product performance and reliability which is more important for a budget buyer.

I will be doing a detailed inside-out run on these PSUs and will be giving each a point (at a scale of 1 to 5, i.e. BAD to GOOD, not EXCELLENT as these are budget PSUs) at every segment of this article. In the end we can club these points together to find which PSU is best among these… Simple.

Now let’s begin the comparison.

Product looks and details

What you get out of the box.
    All PSUs comes in a cardboard box with PSU, manual and decent AC power cable. PSUs are build with requisite quality and thickness of iron sheet for rigidness and minimization of interference.

All three PSU are having a 120mm fan for cooling and a power ON/OFF switch along with Main IEC power connector.

SCORE

Corsair VS650 = 5

Antec VP650 = 5

Master Watt 600 = 5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cables and Connectors
    All PSUs have decent 18AWG cables. Among all three, Antec cables was little stiff and Corsair is having full single braided cables. As per connectors, beside 24pin ATX, 8pin CPU and (1 by 2) 8pin PCIe connectors Corsair is having 4 Molex and 3 SATA connectors, Antec is having 3 Molex and 6 SATA connectors. Finally Cooler Master is having 4 Molex and 6 SATA connectors

SCORE
    Corsair VS650 = 5

Antec VP650 = 4

Master Watt 600 = 4

*********** Since forum Image limitations, I am not able to post full article here. Please following link for full article.

Continue READING...

Thanks

2. Likes chimera201, gta5 liked this post
    Alpha Geek Reputation chimera201's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General Re: 600 Watt budget PSUs Battle

We need more reviews like this especially the 230V only PSUs that can't be tested by US reviewers

I think CM PSU's OEM is Enhance Electronics.

For primary caps, Samxon(Antec) > Teapo(CM) in terms of longevity as per badcaps.net

For Secondary caps , you just gave Antec a lower score considering as a hack for high ripple when there is a separate score for ripple. IMO the Antec's use of a solid Japanese cap should get a higher score.

- Hot box testing is something I would like to see. Antec would have fared better in the tests due to it's better cooling.
    - Don't like the scoring system. Certain aspects are more important than others. A flat non-weighted value isn't right.
    - Lacks Hold up time and inrush current tests

BSOD when you OCed HD 7990 with Corsair PSU
    Do hot box testing and you might actually witness an explosion.
    PSU Tier List (India):
    https://goo.gl/Bv96F4

4. Likes ZTR liked this post
    Wise Old Owl Reputation quicky008's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

its quite shocking to see that the corsair psu is the worst of the lot-i am having a vs450 in my build right now and i really regret buying it after reading the above article.
    “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” - Oscar Wilde

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quicky008 View Post
    its quite shocking to see that the corsair psu is the worst of the lot-i am having a vs450 in my build right now and i really regret buying it after reading the above article.
    Only the vs series of Corsair are bad
    Rest of their other lineup like CX,GS,HX,RM etc are actually good and have been proven so also in reviews

Just the VS series is the one you should avoid

Sent from my Redmi Note 3
    Phenom II X4 955 BE | MSI 970A-G43 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 1x4 GB Corsair DDR3 + 2x2 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz OC'ed to 1600 MHz | Sapphire 7770 HD |Samsung 830 256 GB| WD Purple 1 TB | Antec VP450P | Cooler Master Elite 335U |DragonWar Leviathan|Xbox 360 Controller
    SoundMagic ES18|Sony Xperia Z|Redmi Note 3
    Steam:ZTR23 Origin/uPlay:Zakitheracer

Goodbye, TDF!! Reputation The Sorcerer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Avoid VS and CX series. HX, AX and at least a couple of models of RM series are fine. There's seasonic, or else Antec VP series. CM has watt lite series so wait until reviews from credible sources are out.
    [URL="http://hardwarebbq.com"][B]Hardware BBQ[/B][/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for kind replies.

In this article I tried to give a score in every segment according to my finding and experience. And someone may or may not agree with my finding or judgment, so that’s the reason I shared this article and that’s the beautify of forum. Anyone can judge according to his/her wisdom or knowledge and can get to know what is right for him.

I may be right or may be wrong..or missed something or some aspect totally. Forum and we all are here to share our knowledge and help the community.

I have learned a lot from all these forums and trying my best to give something back and contribute to this community. Still learning and improving.

Thanks and keep sharing your views Good or bad everything is welcomed by heart.

9. Likes gta5 liked this post
    Alpha Geek Reputation chimera201's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The new RMX series from Corsair is pretty good.
    PSU Tier List (India):
    https://goo.gl/Bv96F4

Right Off the Assembly Line Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review

Some people consider teapo better than samxon , some consider samxon better than teapo at badcaps

The new Corsair VS series is good for budget .. They are using Teapo caps

Corsair VS400 and VS500, first tests - jonnyGURU Forums

Đánh giá nguồn máy tính Corsair VS400: Chỉ 400W nhưng "cân" 2 chiếc RX480

But when is it going to land in india ? it has been more than 3-4 months since launch..
    and also the new vengeance series ..

- - - Updated - - -
    @rakesh_sharma23 Sir , if possible can you please include a UPS compatibility test ? that would be very helpful and easy to do.. to test wheather these APFC PSU are compatible with regular stepped/Square sinewave UPS ..

Thanks
    Last edited by gta5; 17-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gta5 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    @rakesh_sharma23 Sir , if possible can you please include a UPS compatibility test ? that would be very helpful and easy to do.. to test wheather these APFC PSU are compatible with regular stepped/Square sinewave UPS ..

Thanks
    Thanks gta5 for nice feedback and a great idea, already have a APC ups with me, will purchase two or three other brands available in India and try to put together something soon.

13. Likes gta5 liked this post
    Human Spambot Reputation Nerevarine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the article, it was really necessary..

Had asked Digit mag to do such a review for a long time, you did a better job than they did. Much appreciate

15. Likes rakesh_sharma23 liked this post