Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad
Menu

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad

the Warrior Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad

Hi guys,

I'm planning to make an app for iPhone and iPad. What all are the things I need to create it? Can I create it in Windows? or Do I need to buy a new MacBook? If I need to buy an Mac, what all are softwares we require to build an app? Is it available for free or how much it would cost?

After creating, how to send it to App Store? What is the procedure?

I would like to get feedback from someone who has previously developed apps for iOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, folks.
    “When you do what you fear most, then you can do anything.” - Stephen Richards

Human Spambot Reputation abhidev's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

General Re: Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad

yes...you need a macbook to develop ios apps. Xcode is the Objective C ide used to develop ios apps.

After you have created your app...you'll have to submit your app to the app store where it will be reviewed and only after that it will be available on the app store.
    Origin/Steam - Rockyat
    Core i5 4670k Haswell 3.4GHz, ASUS Gryphon, 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws CL9 1600MHz, CM Hyper 212 Evo, Corsair VX 550w, MSI R5770 HAWK 1GB, Dlink Dir-615 and Nexus 4

Professional Newbie Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're creating any simple apps, which looks like the case since you are a new dev, you don't really need to buy a Mac. Just install OS X Mavericks on VMWare and download XCode from the Mac AppStore.

For publishing apps though you need a $99/year developer account from Apple. But you can write and test your apps on the built-in emulator for free. Also you can try it on your own iDevice if it's jailbroken I guess. Good luck!
    iL T0rN4D0:
    i5-2500k||Biostar TZ68K+||8 GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz||Sapphire HD 7850||CM Hyper 212 EVO||1TB Seagate Barracuda||ASUS 24x||CM Elite 430||Logitech G400||Razer Goliathus Control Edition-Standard||Logitech K200||Sennheiser HD203||Samsung GALAXY NOTE GT-N7000||Apple iPad 4 16GB WiFi||Lenovo Z500(3rd Gen i5||6 GB||1 TB||GT 740m 2GB)||Nexus 5 32 GB Black

Destroy Erase Improve Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Desmond David's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What sort of app do you plan on developing. You can a service/API like PhoneGap, which allows you to develop apps using HTML5 and Javascript, so that you don't need to learn Objective-C. Steps for doing so on Windows is given here : Detailed Guide for setting up building iOS apps without a Mac
    Human, moral and religious values are luxuries of times of peace.

SoulEngine : Core i5 4690K||Asus Z97-A||Gskill RipjawsX 2x4 GB DDR3-1600||Corsair 300R Windowed||Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme||Seagate Barracuda 320GB + 500GB + 2TB||Seasonic SS-650KM3

the Warrior Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your information, SunE. I guess Mavericks is available for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SunE View Post
    If you're creating any simple apps, which looks like the case since you are a new dev, you don't really need to buy a Mac. Just install OS X Mavericks on VMWare and download XCode from the Mac AppStore.

For publishing apps though you need a $99/year developer account from Apple. But you can write and test your apps on the built-in emulator for free. Also you can try it on your own iDevice if it's jailbroken I guess. Good luck!
    Thank you, Desmond & abhidev.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSmOnD dAvId View Post
    What sort of app do you plan on developing. You can a service/API like PhoneGap, which allows you to develop apps using HTML5 and Javascript, so that you don't need to learn Objective-C. Steps for doing so on Windows is given here : Detailed Guide for setting up building iOS apps without a Mac
    Is there anything I should be careful of, before building the iOS app?

SunE, you said we need to pay $99 dollars(a year) to register with Apple. Can we create more than 1 app for one developer account or do we need to create separate developer accounts for separate apps?

Quote Originally Posted by SunE View Post

Last edited by ramkumarvcbe; 17-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Destroy Erase Improve Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Desmond David's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You just need to make sure that the apps you have developed are functional before you send it for review

I strongly recommend that you try development in PhoneGap because you can develop on any platform and it has its own VM for testing apps. A Mac is only needed for generating the keys needed for signing apps with before sending to the app store, however, it can be done on Windows as given in the link above. Also, PhoneGap apps can only be compiled using the PhoneGap service online but you can code on any machine. Another advantage of PhoneGap is that the same app can be built for all platforms.

However, there is no going around without creating a Apple developer account though. So you will still have to shell out $99.

SoulEngine : Core i5 4690K||Asus Z97-A||Gskill RipjawsX 2x4 GB DDR3-1600||Corsair 300R Windowed||Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme||Seagate Barracuda 320GB + 500GB + 2TB||Seasonic SS-650KM3

the Warrior Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

Desmond, pls don't mind. Can you tell me in detail what does PhoneGap will do? How much we need to pay for its service? Can you give me the links for some of the best apps build using PhoneGap?

Ofcourse, I'm ready to pay Apple's cut($99). Hehe.

You just need to make sure that the apps you have developed are functional before you send it for review

I strongly recommend that you try development in PhoneGap because you can develop on any platform and it has its own VM for testing apps. A Mac is only needed for generating the keys needed for signing apps with before sending to the app store, however, it can be done on Windows as given in the link above. Also, PhoneGap apps can only be compiled using the PhoneGap service online but you can code on any machine. Another advantage of PhoneGap is that the same app can be built for all platforms.

However, there is no going around without creating a Apple developer account though. So you will still have to shell out $99.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramkumarvcbe View Post
    Desmond, pls don't mind. Can you tell me in detail what does PhoneGap will do? How much we need to pay for its service? Can you give me the links for some of the best apps build using PhoneGap?

Ofcourse, I'm ready to pay Apple's cut($99). Hehe.
    You can get all the info here : PhoneGap | Home

Apps created with PhoneGap : PhoneGap | Apps

The PhoneGap build service is free for open source apps. However, for private apps, the first app will be free, after that you have to pay according to their plans. More details here : https://build.phonegap.com/

the Warrior Reputation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Desmond.

Will definitely let you know when my app is ready.

Anyother valuable inputs/feebacks/sources on creating iOS apps is always welcome.

You can get all the info here : PhoneGap | Home

Apps created with PhoneGap : PhoneGap | Apps

The PhoneGap build service is free for open source apps. However, for private apps, the first app will be free, after that you have to pay according to their plans. More details here : https://build.phonegap.com/
    Desmond, another doubt. How much money(say Commission) we need to pay Apple for every purchase of our app? I'm curious to know!
    Last edited by ramkumarvcbe; 17-01-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about that. Never developed an app for iOS myself. You'd be better off asking someone who has already done so or research on the net.